Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planetary (& satellite) conjunction 07 Jan

Demonperformer

I don't usually do a lot of visual because of the streetlights, but decided to pop out with the 15x70 binos this morning (6.30-ish) to have a look at the Mars/Jupiter conjunction. Jupiter a lot brighter than Mars and sitting above it. Jupiter appeared white, but Mars' red colour was clearly visible. Tried to find the Galileans and was rather disappointed to only be able to find one, in the 2 o'clock position. However, checking CdC I see that the satellites were having their own mini-conjunctions this morning - Io and Europa close by at the 9 o'clock position and (what I saw) Ganymede and Callisto. That has made me wish I had taken the trouble to move a little earlier and set up the scope for a pic.

Moral: check CdC before future close encounters to see if there is anything else happening that makes it worth setting up the scope for a pic.

Archived