NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

deep sky

Hi all

I have a Skywatcher EVOSTAR-100ED2 PRO. I am mainly interested in lunar and planetary viewing which this telescope is great for.

I havent tried looking for DSO's (mainly because I am still trying to find my way round that big sky) but is the 4" aperture of this scope enough to get decent views??

Many Thanks

Deacon

Hi Deacon,

I use my 4 inch refractor a lot for deep sky work and despite the limited light grasp it does pretty well on the brighter objects and I can get glimpses of some of the fainter ones such as the Veil and Owl nebulae as well.

If you don't already have one, a filter such as the Baader UHS-C can help enhance the contrast of planetary and other nebulae. A low power, wide angle eyepiece is useful as well of course for the bigger objects.

Of course a larger scope makes finding the faint fuzzies easier but it's suprising what 4 inches of unobstructed aperture can do !.

John

Archived