Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Really Stupid Question?

I'm pretty new to this whole astrophotography thing. I do know though that you stack lights, darks, flats and bias frames to create one image. I realise that you must take several darks, flats and bias frames and then they are put together to create a master dark, flat and bias frame. But thinking about it what I don't get is if you are imaging one target for hours on end, getting practically the exact same image, why don't you just duplicate a 5 minute exposure 12 times? Boom there's an hour of data in 5 minutes. You don't need to wait for ages for the clouds to clear for a few hours. You only need a short amount of time. So why do you need to take multiple shots? There must be a very obvious answer to this question I'm just missing. Help me out here, my brains getting very confused!

Archived