Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way.thumb.jpg.dbd8b15e81d11e9303c8d6ef1898ac08.jpg

Hayduke27

I just saw the ISS!

Recommended Posts

Subdeo, those are great shots!  I think I saw that lake once in South America.  One clear day I watched it cross the entire continent from SW to NE, saw the rivers, the Amazon and delta, and it crossed pretty close to Sao Paulo, Brazil, where my nephew just happened to be at the time.  That was the best sighting I've had so far.  Most of the time I look, either the continents are clouded over or they are over the ocean.  Either way, though, it is amazing how beautiful our blue planet really is!  Thanks for sharing the photos.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Paz said:

I don't go out of my way to see the iss but have never tired of seeing it. Once I got it in view in my ST120 on an AZ4 and followed it manually across over 90 degrees of sky. It was very exciting like playing some kind of video game! It looked like a super bright multicoloured rugbyball shaped blob flying through the stars.

Wow!  How cool!  I have the feeling it is not easy to find it or track it, given its speed and variable trajectory.  Your description of that experience sounds like it is super fun and I hope to share a similar one someday.  I'll have to set up the telescope early and be all lined up and ready for it.  A new challenge :-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jay F said:

Wow!  How cool!  I have the feeling it is not easy to find it or track it, given its speed and variable trajectory.  Your description of that experience sounds like it is super fun and I hope to share a similar one someday.  I'll have to set up the telescope early and be all lined up and ready for it.  A new challenge :-)

Yes it's something to try if you get a chance. My scope wasn't properly focused at the time and there was no time to focus it! I lost track of the iss in the end and looked up and reacquired it naked eye but it then disappeared (I assume into  the earth's shadow) before getting down to the horizon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jay F said:

Subdeo, those are great shots!  I think I saw that lake once in South America.  One clear day I watched it cross the entire continent from SW to NE, saw the rivers, the Amazon and delta, and it crossed pretty close to Sao Paulo, Brazil, where my nephew just happened to be at the time.  That was the best sighting I've had so far.  Most of the time I look, either the continents are clouded over or they are over the ocean.  Either way, though, it is amazing how beautiful our blue planet really is!  Thanks for sharing the photos.

Thanks!

I know the feeling! It is incredible to see the blue marble so far below the camera, and yet so close. The subtle hues of green, brown, and turquoise never fail to amaze (when they are not hidden by clouds, that is). Clear skies!

 Subdeo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jay F: Have you tried timing the pass to see a hurricane or wildfire yet? it's pretty tricky and takes patience, planning, and good luck, but you get a cool view in return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I haven't...but thanks for the suggestion.  I will have to try to time it right and see if I can get a glimpse of something like that. 

I haven't seen this on the webcam, but I have seen video recorded by one of the astronauts on the space station that shows the aurora borealis.  I don't think the webcams up there are capable of showing it for some reason, but it was really fantastic, flashing over most of the arctic regions and beyond. 

As great as the webcam views look to us, the live views must be 1000 times better for them :-)  One of the perks of what I suspect is a pretty tough job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 20:04, Jay F said:

No, I haven't...but thanks for the suggestion.  I will have to try to time it right and see if I can get a glimpse of something like that. 

I haven't seen this on the webcam, but I have seen video recorded by one of the astronauts on the space station that shows the aurora borealis.  I don't think the webcams up there are capable of showing it for some reason, but it was really fantastic, flashing over most of the arctic regions and beyond. 

As great as the webcam views look to us, the live views must be 1000 times better for them :-)  One of the perks of what I suspect is a pretty tough job.

Agreed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite souvenir was many years ago driving along Edwards AFB in my convertible on the way to the Grand Canyon looking at the ISS chased by the Space Shuttle or possibly the other way around--it was gorgeous to see them with of course a very clear early evening Californian sky--in those days the Shuttle was still landing at Edwards.

I always try to see it when passing over, tonight would be a good night but the clouds are in the way!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2017 at 01:47, Jay F said:

You're right!  And it is cool. I have the ISSonLive app on my cell and I hate to admit how much time I spend watching it :-)  Right now, actually, watching the sunset as they fly over the tip of South America... it is just so amazing.

Thanks for this, I hadn't realized there was an ISS live feed app. Just downloaded :)

Cheers, Magnus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pleasure, @Captain Magenta,

I'm glad you are enjoying it as much as I do.

I just came in from watching it pass overhead this evening, first time with binoculars.  It did seem quite a bit more distinct, not just a bright spot of light, more of a yellowish color than it seems to be without the binocs, but I couldn't hold them steady enough to really get any detail. It is amazingly fast, but not too difficult to stay on it.  I know I don't have the skills to even try to follow it with my telescope at this point :-)  Would love to get there!

It was supposed to be a three minute viewing window, and I'm sure it probably was, but the time went by so fast!  Never get tired of it :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.