NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 130p and Celestron Ultima Duo 5mm

NICm81

Hi there! I'm new to this forum and new to astrophotography (with telescope) I Just got my first Skywatcher 130p and considering getting the Celestron Ultima Duo Eyepiece 5mm and a t ring to attach my canon dslr. do you think this will be a good buy? or should I go for a cheaper lens.

Cheers

Usually for AP you do not use an eyepiece with a DSLR.

You attach JUST the DSLR body to the scope via a T-ring and what is termed a nosepiece and you place the image from the scope mirror directly on the DSLR sensor. So the normal approach is no lens on the DSLR and no eyepiece.

To get the image from the scope to fall on the DSLR sensor you may well need to make adjustments to the mirror position - move it up about 20mm, which in turn means you will then not get an eyepiece to achieve focus and so give an image when viewing. To get around that you would need a short extension tube for visual use.

6 minutes ago, ronin said:

Usually for AP you do not use an eyepiece with a DSLR.

You attach JUST the DSLR body to the scope via a T-ring and what is termed a nosepiece and you place the image from the scope mirror directly on the DSLR sensor. So the normal approach is no lens on the DSLR and no eyepiece.

To get the image from the scope to fall on the DSLR sensor you may well need to make adjustments to the mirror position - move it up about 20mm, which in turn means you will then not get an eyepiece to achieve focus and so give an image when viewing. To get around that you would need a short extension tube for visual use.

Hi Bright Giant thanks for you advice.   the overview of the eyepiece states this "Perfect for Imaging
If you’re interested in imaging through the eyepiece, Ultima Duo makes the process quick and easy. Unlike competitors’ eyepieces, you won’t need to spend money on expensive adapters for your camera. The industry-standard 42 mm T-threads are integrated for a direct, secure connection to your DSLR or astronomical CCD camera. Just remove the rubber eyeguard to expose Ultima Duo’s integral T-threads. Then attach your DSLR camera (with compatible T-ring) and you’re ready to capture crystal clear images! Ultima Duo is ideal for imaging bright solar system objects like the rings of Saturn, craters on the Moon, and Jupiter’s Great Red Spot."

I'm more confuse that before now :happy6:

28 minutes ago, Pieter said:

I bought my T-ring for like € 20 or something. You can save that 150€ (ish) on that EP and invest it in something an you will be able to do good AP with just the DSLR and get some time to learn it.

Thanks ordered my T-ring.

17 minutes ago, NICm81 said:

Thanks ordered my T-ring.

The standard SW130P has focusing problems with a DSLR attached. You will need a barlow lens to correct this. Get a barlow lens with an integral t-thread so that you can attach the t-ring to it or a barlow without a t-thread plus a 1.25" camera adapter

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The standard SW130P has focusing problems with a DSLR attached. You will need a barlow lens to correct this. Get a barlow lens with an integral t-thread so that you can attach the t-ring to it or a barlow without a t-thread plus a 1.25" camera adapter

Thanks Peter, ordered from Harrison Telescopes!!!

Archived