SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon Mirrorless : Anyone imaging with them ??

Space Hopper

As the title really.

I don't count myself as a serious imager. In fact i'm a beginner.

I have a 6D and 3 lenses. As well as my terrestrial stuff, i enjoy a bit of prime focus from time to time,

mainly Lunar, occasional white light Solar, and a bit of wide field if i'm at a dark site.

Before i got the Canon, i was a Sony A7 mirrorless user.

The one thing i miss with the Sony is its focus peak feature when imaging the Sun or Moon through my scope.

It made focusing a piece of cake and gave me some nice (if basic) images.

But no one seems to like the Sonys sensor for astrophotography, and most images prefer the Canon sensor.

Anyway, i'm in the market for a smaller sensor to use with a scope i have that won't illuminate a FF sensor.

Rather than getting another DSLR i was thinking of purchasing a Canon mirrorless.

Something like a M6.

I just wondered how the APS sensor in that camera stacks up against those in the DSLR range ?

Is anyone using them for imaging ? And can you modify them for astrophotography ?

Thanks all.

• 3 months later...

Bit late now but the sensor in the Canon M5 and M6 are identical to the sensor in the Canon 77D and 80D DSLR. You would have thought the M6 would have made a better astro proposition than a APS DSLR. Smaller and lighter, focus peaking and same image quality. But not seen anyone using one. 

Archived