NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging during fireworks

spaceman_spiff

It's forecast as clear tonight here so I am planning of doing some lunar imaging. I interested if there will be any effect of smoke from fireworks on the quality of the image. Probably there will be no effect or highly dependent on weather conditions but this is the best night to find out.

Dan.

I am purely visual at present and I tend to ignore observing during the weeks of 'Diwali' & 'Bonfire Night'. Though this year [2017] and last year [2016] have not been to bad for smoke clouds from fireworks. :blob8:

It is just the damn weather clouds that are annoying. :clouds1:

Well last night after I got back from the fireworks display I set up the mak and got to work. I must say I got the clearest, steadiest recordings of the moon I have ever seen. No issues with smoke or smoke induced clouds, but that could be my location north of all the fireworks in Manchester. There was also no wind vibrating the scope which is rare round here. I left the scope cooling down for 2 hours in the garden before we left and I noticed it still needed some time to cool when I was imaging. Once it was cool, it really does perform!

I was thinking that actually fireworks night is a great time to do astronomy outreach since so many people are out and looking up, just a thought.

Dan.

Archived