NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

StarSense (for Skywatcher) Compatibility with AZ EQ-5/6 Encoders

CrashEd

The Starsense comes with its own handset which replaces your existing handset. All of your slews would have to go through the Starsense handset. If you released the clutches and manually moved the mount you would have to then re-do your Starsense star alignment if you wanted to continue using the Starsense... as far as I'm aware.

James

2 hours ago, jambouk said:

The Starsense comes with its own handset which replaces your existing handset. All of your slews would have to go through the Starsense handset. If you released the clutches and manually moved the mount you would have to then re-do your Starsense star alignment if you wanted to continue using the Starsense... as far as I'm aware.

James

Hmm, that's a shame as it would basically make the use of the encoders redundant. 

I would call up one of the retailers like Rother Valley, Green Witch, FLO and just check. I have only played with one once and it was an NEQ6 - I liked it very much but I have an AZEQ6 and I can get the GOTO accuracy to be pretty good anyway. 

Why would you want to release the clutches anyway in combination with the bang on accuracy of the Starsense? 

James

18 minutes ago, jambouk said:

I would call up one of the retailers like Rother Valley, Green Witch, FLO and just check. I have only played with one once and it was an NEQ6 - I liked it very much but I have an AZEQ6 and I can get the GOTO accuracy to be pretty good anyway. 

Why would you want to release the clutches anyway in combination with the bang on accuracy of the Starsense? 

James

It was hyperthetical really. Didn't want to lose the functionality. I quite like the freedom of manually slewing too, but don't use it that much compared to goto, so it's not s deal breaker. 

Archived