Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Projection Question

I'd like to try some solar projection but I've read that it could damage the eyepiece due to the heat involved, and that a cheap eyepice that is not cemented should be used. Can anyone confirm this or recommend an eyepiece that would be safe?

DB

Hi, to start with you need to reduce the aperture of your scope (tape a piece of card over the front end leaving a 2" dia offset hole) then blank off /remove finderscope to prevent anyone accidentally looking through it, align scope with sun using the scopes shadow, any cheap 15mm or 10mm plossl or kellner eyepiece projecting onto white card should show you sunspots. Alternatively get some Baader Astro Solar Film and make your own solar filter. What scope were you thinking of using?

As Kai said, just be very very careful, my Tal2m had a sun projection screen and tracking motor which made life a bit easer doing sun projection. Just remember not leave the scope unattended while doing this just in case someone looks through the eyepiece and blinds themselves.

Phill

If you have a finder scope on your Newt., make sure it is capped, or better still. take it off, someone might be tempted to look through it whilst you are busy looking at the projected image.

The danger from sun through the finder is just as real.

RON.

Another reason to remove the finder (apart from the very worthwhile mention of safety issues) that I have heard of is the cross hairs can get burnt out.

I've only tried solar projection once with my ETX90 and I didnt know this, but I got away with it :sunny:

Iain

Archived