NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with changing filter settings on a G2-8300 camera

SlimPaling

Hi ...

I am starting to get my Moravian G208300 CCD camera set up for the first time ... and I have hit a snag which I am finding difficult to get past.

My G2 is an ex-demo and has an internal 5 slot filter wheel. I was told that the filters fitted are, in order,  "R,G,B,CLS,Ha".

When I start up the SIPS software I can see that the filters shown are not the same as this .... so obviously I need to tell the software which filters I have fitted and in what order they come in.

After reading the manual it suggests that I need to modify the "gxusb.ini" file to give the system the correct information about my current set of filters.

However .... after modifying the .ini file when I try to save it I get a message saying "Access Denied" :-(

I have tried to get rid of this security problem and failed.

So ..... am I correct in trying to modify the "gxusb.ini" file anyway ? ... or should I be doing this process in a totally different way ???

Secondly .... if I am correct with modifying the .ini file ......  how do I get it to save ????

Any help & suggestions would very welcome.

Mike

HI Mike,

Years ago, I also did have had an MORAVIAN G2 8300M CCD with internal Filterwheel " same like you have " and I did solve the issue with the *.ini file this way.

I did copy the *.ini file, and store it elsewhere modification is possible without any ADMIN WARNINGS, then I did change the change the filter and then paste it back into the

Moravian directory..

Cheers

Martin

Hello,

As Martin said you have to save the modified file to another location first e.g. desktop then cut and paste it into the folder.

Not sure if this works for the Sips software but there is also a standalone tool from Moravian which let's you define the filters for the camera.

Hi ...

I was about to do the steps that Martin had suggested when I noticed that, in the same folder that the gxusb.ini file was stored, there was another file called "Editor" buried in there with no explanations ..... guess what this is what you use to change the .ini file with any problems at all !!!!!

WHY ... why ... why .... wasn't this mentioned in the manual ??????? It would have saved a lot of time and effort !!!!

Mike

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 05:50, AngryDonkey said:

Hi Mike,

Glad you got it sorted!

As mentioned above there is also a stand alone tool which has a convenient way to change the filter data. You can download it from the Moravian website here:

http://www.gxccd.com/cat?id=150&lang=409

Mike

Thanks Mike for this ....

I have now tried your method (see above) as well .... bot your method and the one that I used successfully both need to be run as an "Administrator" in order to save any changes to the .ini file.

Others may find this useful

Mike

Archived