NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade ETX 90 ra

Hello everyone at sgl ,

ive been looking for a small portable scope and came across the Meade ETX 90 RA at a reasonable price on eBay in good condition. This is the manual version apart from the RA tracking. 

ive never owned a mak before so that alone makes me want it but the 90mm mirror makes me think I shouldn't bother in terms of focal length it's 1250, 

i guess im asking what would the difference be between this scope in terms of viewing compared to my 130p/650 , how will the 1250 focal length help?

thanks guys p.s. Glad to be back after a break due to moving 

Nathan

You need to make sure the tracking is working, otherwise maddness and insanity beckons. :icon_biggrin: OK, greater insanity and maddness then at present.

Viewing is narrow, it will get M45 in with a 30mm plossl, looks OK but it is narrow. I own a Mak and my opinion is that Maks should be goto. Saves the bother of locating things so much and it keeps them in view. As the scope is the RA variant you will need to mount it on an EQ "system". I say "system" as the Meade really need the Meade tripod and mount to make it all easier to set up.

They are fine as long as you understand the limitations and accept them.

I might sound negative but know of someone with one and they have never bothered with the batteries and tracking and they get along OK with it so it is manual and to add to the "fun" it is on an Alt/Az mount so not even able to just swing it across the sky to reacquire the target. Not sure it has its finder either, and I get on OK when I have to watch over it.

It seems to generally get aimed at M45 but I suspect is because M45 is a decent size, so easier to find and recognise when in view.

20 minutes ago, ronin said:

You need to make sure the tracking is working, otherwise maddness and insanity beckons. :icon_biggrin: OK, greater insanity and maddness then at present.

Viewing is narrow, it will get M45 in with a 30mm plossl, looks OK but it is narrow. I own a Mak and my opinion is that Maks should be goto. Saves the bother of locating things so much and it keeps them in view. As the scope is the RA variant you will need to mount it on an EQ "system". I say "system" as the Meade really need the Meade tripod and mount to make it all easier to set up.

They are fine as long as you understand the limitations and accept them.

I might sound negative but know of someone with one and they have never bothered with the batteries and tracking and they get along OK with it so it is manual and to add to the "fun" it is on an Alt/Az mount so not even able to just swing it across the sky to reacquire the target. Not sure it has its finder either, and I get on OK when I have to watch over it.

It seems to generally get aimed at M45 but I suspect is because M45 is a decent size, so easier to find and recognise when in view.

Thanks for your reply mate,

i didn't find you was being negative but more so realistic, 

im a impulse buyer normally and I was going to impulse buy but I thought I would ask on here first this time.

ive decided I'm going to give it a miss due to the lack of power I crave ?

You have made me realise this as this as the impulse buyer in me was going to click purchase

thanks again

nathan 

Nothing to do with the telescope you're looking at....but I used to be a terrible impulse buyer. The thing I found helped the most.... researching and buying telescope bits! It seems to have taught me patience: waiting on decent weather, finding the right piece of kit, learning more about this awesome hobby, etc. 

Although... recently there's been a period where all my research and pondering for different bits has coincided... Maybe relapsed a bit and spent a wee bit more than I planned....

Ok, so maybe astronomy doesn't help with not spending money. I stand by my patience and weather comment.

Archived