NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Day and Night with Orion VX8

Mark at Beaufort

What a fantastic day.

I started viewing the Sun with my PST and Double Stack and then felt I needed some 'white light' viewing so I set up the Orion VX8 on the SkyTee 2 mount with an Astrozap solar filter - AR 2672 was great with the 13mm Ethos plus AR 2673 coming around the edge.

The Orion VX8 kept out to view the Moon - checking out the area from the Caucasus Mountains down to the crater Meton. The view was a bit 'wobbly' but used mag up to 191X and 257X (TeleVue zoom + Baader 2.25X barlow)

I then waited for the Moon to set before deciding on a night of viewing DSOs. In fact as we reached midnight the Milky Way was really shining from Casiopeia to the horizon.

Over several hours these were objects that I viewed. M51, M101, M82, M81, NGC 7789, M13, M92, M11, M16 (O-III), M17 (O-III), M24, M22, M30, M72, NGC 7009 (O-III - 257X), M2, M15, Both main parts of the Veil (20mm Myraid - Castell O-III), same setup for NAN, M57, M27 (O-III), Cr399, NGC 7662 (O-III), M31, M32, M110, M76 (O-III), M33 and finally the double cluster with the Myraid 20mm.

This is really a very nice, easily set up scope. The Myriad range of EPs showed excellent views across most of the FOV and finally the Castell O-III filter which I really rate.

OK lots of objects throughout the day but a satisfying outcome.

Just now, John said:

Nice report Mark and some lovely targets !

I've heard good reports on the Castell filters as well. Good prices too !

Yes John - most of the PNs that I viewed was with the 1.25" Astronomik O-III but I have the Castell in a 2" for the Myriad 20mm and 9mm. The view of the Veil with the 20mm Myriad and Castell O-III was brilliant last night.

Archived