Nagler 13mm type 1

It's a smoothie (no undercut in the barrel), many people like that.  As long as the exit pupil stays small (slow telescope) the spherical aberration of its exit pupil should cause no problem, but in a fast scope kidney bean shadows will interfere with the viewing experience and to avoid them requires a very stable position of the eye. This causes strain. The coatings of the type 1 are not as good as those of the type 6. The type 1 is also much heavier.

For a good used Nagler 13mm type 1 I'd pay no more than a third of the price of a new 13mm type 6.

post-38669-0-04963300-1452697557.gif

Spherical aberration of the exit pupil can cause kidney bean shadows

My type 1 Nageler 4.8mm, btw, is a very sharp eyepiece with a nice flat field. The eye relief is tight, but in my f/5 it has a small exit pupil and I never see any kidney beans with it. I like it a lot. It's from the 80's. That makes it an antique.

Okay, a vintage eyepiece. I'm not sure what that would be worth to a collector.

I might pay €100 for yours, if I needed a 13mm  for a slow scope.

A Nagler T1 "smoothie" with the original box and in good, clean condition recently sold in the USA for $150.

I'd probably advertise it in the classifieds or on UK Astro Buy & Sell at around £120 but invite offers. Include good photos in the advert !

Archived