Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Messier 17 ZWO ASI 071

Benklerk

The Omega Nebula, also known as the Swan Nebula, is an H II region in the constellation Sagittarius. The Omega Nebula is between 5,000 and 6,000 light-years from Earth and it spans some 15 light-years in diameter. The cloud of interstellar matter of which this nebula is a part is roughly 40 light-years in diameter. It is considered one of the brightest and most massive star-forming regions of our galaxy. Its local geometry is similar to the Orion Nebula except that it is viewed edge-on rather than face-on.
The open cluster NGC 6618 lies embedded in the nebulosity and causes the gases of the nebula to shine due to radiation from these hot, young stars.

GSO RC 6"
HEQ5 PRO
ZWO ASI 071
14 x 4min.

M 17 Final.jpg

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Nice! Great star colour, which is really important in this target because the starfield is so insistent. And captured quickly, too. Less than an hour is amazing.

Olly

Must be good, Olly just complemented the speed of capture from an OSC camera ;) his location will be helping mind you. 

Of course the real question is what could this 6 year old CMOS sensor do if it was avaliable in mono (its as old as the sensor in my 550D and similar in technology). People love the ASI1600 and its ok, but the most modern APS-C DSLR sensors are far superior just not mono. 

It is a great image and as I have commented before I am really impressed with the star colour from this camera. Makes me want to get one, just cant afford it having just built an observatory. 

Archived