Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milky Way from Skiathos Greece

Holiday snaps, my first go at wide field using an EOS6D and purchased especially for the occasion Samyang 14mm F/2.8.  After all the pain of trying to learn deep sky from my disgustingly light polluted UK garden I found the simple luxury of being able to snap a up a lightweight tripod and snap to my heart's content really liberating and quite fantastic!  Focus is hard to get right at this scale I found but I tried several test shots and decided roughly which setting looked sharpest (and other ideas? Bahtinov won't work at this scale surely).  The first is a single 20s snap as it came out of the camera (the longest I could get without trailing) at ISO2000.  One day I'll learn how to separate out the foreground so I can maybe combine multiples of the sky for better detail, but I like it.  The second was just pointed at the sky and I stacked 10x20s along with a few darks.  I cropped it quite heavily due to very bad vignetting, and I'm not sure what the trailed stars on one side only (below) represent, maybe an issue with my lens?  Anyway I went to town on the processing such that it makes a quite striking wallpaper for my Mac!  Hope you like them.

IMG_4406.JPG

MW_ST02a.jpg

Archived