NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Study for a 203x1000 newtonian dobsonian base

N3ptune

@DRT I thank you for the idea.  I think if I were to have a Dobsonian mount one day, I would still finish my own idea but with Orion's brake concept (: is a good idea and easy to build out of nothing. You guys are lucky to have Orion Optics they have stunning products.

PBCXyur.png

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am resurrecting my John Dobson base project, I feel the need to have such a base to be able to get out very fast, to start an observation. Exactly like today, 50% clouds with very dark space holes to look in! The EQ5 is very ineffective to work around clouds, something has to be done and the best solution is the John Dobson base!

I am reloading the program (:  I hope people will follow this DIY.

• 8 months later...
On 16/08/2017 at 02:53, dyfiastro said:

I am in the process of building a basic dob mount for an 203/1000 as well.
I wanted something that I could use away from home but easy enough to convert back for obsy use.
Here is the basic design that I went with, the entire thing was put together using off-cuts from old bits of furniture etc...
599325849de9b_dobmount1.thumb.jpg.ea09cdaf5e59a18c6a93890357cd4a80.jpg

I am just in the process of painting it all up but pretty happy with the result.
I went for the traditional record for the azimuth bearing due to having a scratched one laying around. a better alternative may be added later if required.
The Alt bearings are drainage pipe end caps that bolt directly to the the scope rings.
In total the entire thing has cost me about £9 and the base can be moved in one piece or split if required.

I was looking for a nice simple build and when I saw your design I thought that's what I'm looking for! It looks just like yours, but I have 2 rings to attach the end caps to. Initially I had the record just loose between the base and mount but it seemed to grab and the mount sometimes touched the base. So I glued one record to the base and another to the mount and applied lithium grease in between. I can now lock the bolt down firmly, no play, and the records have a perfect balance of smoothness and resistance when swiveling. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm really pleased with the result.

IMG_20180708_130439.jpg

Archived