SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bootcamp on a Mac to update mounts?

kerrylewis

I have an old ex-work PC which I have previously used mainly to update firmware on my mounts (Skywatcher and Ioptron). For general computer use I have a Macbook but most firmware updates don't support Mac.  However the old PC seems to have finally expired (RIP!) and I am considering other options.

Have members successfully used Bootcamp/Windows on a Mac for such updates? I just want to be sure that it will work

Thanks 

Kerry 

I use Macbooks and Macs and run them purely as windows machines.. The build of a macbook is as good as it gets!   The advantage of bootcamp over something like parallels is, it boots natively and its not an OS on top of an OS.   I use pretty much the run of the mill astro programs and applications on my bootcamp macs with no problems at all.   It is in effect a pure windows laptop on bootcamp.

Sounds like you'r comfortable configuring a bootcamp partition.. One bit of adivce i will give, is download the CD/DVD to USB from Microsoft to create the bootable USB stick which Bootcamp needs.   I had a whole lot of problems getting my older macbook pro with a DVD drive to boot using the DVD drive.  I think it was a couiple of OSX updates ago they took that away

Archived