Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrobinoculars threatening my budget!

I've got a bit of money eating a hole in my wallet. So far I'm planning on moving up from an 8" dob to a 12" and investing in at least one good eyepiece. Now I'm noticing there are some nice binocs on sale just in time for my visit to the scope shop. At www.all-startelescope.com (some of you are surely familiar with that name by now) there are Pentax XCF 10x50 and 12x50 binoculars listed as being on special. I recently read somewhere that it's a good idea to invest in a new set if your binocs are more than 20 years old. Well, mine were handed down from my dad (I'm 32) and he had them at least as long as he had me. They are 7x50 and still perform rather well. The make is Fisher - Dietz #71494.

The reason I'm thinking of upgrading is that newer binocs will be much lighter, correct? The downside is that I've heard higher magnification= more difficulty holding them steady without a tripod. That said I was looking more at the 10s. Now I've read a couple of reviews and let's say they weren't all glowing, more like a mediocre product from the sounds of it.

What do you think? Should I stay with what I've got or plunk down the dough and get the new binocs? Honestly I don't have a problem with the 7x50s, but figured it would be nice to save some strength to lug that 12" dob around with. I'll be on my way there in 18 hours, so opinions will be best received before then. Thanks!

"jamieren!"

Well, if you are going to the actual shop, at least you will be able to physically try them out!

Whether you buy them or not - is up to you! (It's no good anyone asking you "do you really need a new pair of binoculars" - it is a dilemma when you see something nice, and you have the cash burning that hole in your pocket! If we want something, sometimes all rationalle goes out of the window, and we suddenly find ourselves justifying our desire to buy the item - it is only after the novelty wears off, that the reality sinks in, that we didn't really need the item after all!!).

Sorry for putting a damper on things!

Seriously though, there is some sound advice in what others have said.

I would just advise you to watch the weight of your prospective buy - you are going to be holding them for a long time - at times. (And remember, the whole idea of a pair of binoculars for astro use, to have a pair that are light, comfortable to hold and look through, and which give a good bright and wide field of view).

Best wishes,

philsail1

Its a good point that Philsail1 makes. If possible go to a shop and try them out. You don't have to buy them there. I must admit I was "blown away" by the optics on the WO bins - much better than I had expected.

Are you responsible for the bad weather we are getting here in UK?

John

I know this topic's probably been forgotten, but I've got an update. Whilst browsing at the All-Star telescope shop lo and behold I see sitting on a dusty shelf in the back a couple of pairs of celestron binocs marked down from $49.95 to $10! Not being the type of guy to pass such a deal up I bought them both and am very pleased with the value for the few dollars I spent. One was 10x25 (a compact set) and the other 12x25 (it's odd looking, like a ship from star wars). They both can produce sharp terrestrial images, albeit a bit narrower field of view than my 7x50s (though not nearly as much of a difference as I might have feared). One thing I did consider was the narrower aperture limiting light gathering capability. It's been cloudy as uh ...Venus? and I haven't had the opportunity to test them on the sky but hey, what could I complain about for $20!

Does anyone else ever use binocs this small, or is it just a waste of time? I'm figuring at least I can use them to pacify my two oldest sons who are beginning to show an interest in what's above (and buy me more time at the eyepiece of the telescope in the process...).

I first saw the Beehive through a pair of 8x21 bushnell binoculars I bought for hiking many years ago. Even though they are small, they had 15 or so times the light gathering power of my own eyes, and were usefull for many things. I still carry the monocular version of them, and used them for astronomy until I recently bought a pair of 10 x 50s. I will still carry the little scope when carrying the big ones is inconvenient.

"jamieren!"

You did well there - two pairs of binoculars for $20! and as the "warthog" says they will have more light gatherng power than your eyes. (but you know the magnificent views you obtain through your 7 x 50's will take a lot of beating with any binocular - unless you pay "big bucks!").

However, if they produce sharp terrestrial images, they may give you surprisingly good results when viewing the heavens.

Let us know how you get on with them!

Regards,

philsail1

My only equipment from about 1984 to 2002 was a pair of 8x30 soviet made binoculars. They showed the moon and a surprising number of deep sky objects very well and the moons of Jupiter were clear as day.

I also used a cheap pair of 8x20 binoculars and they gave nice veiws of m45 and the moon ect.

Give them a go I'm sure you'll be pleased for 20$

Archived