SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky-watcher 12" dob goto synscan power

shazbot

Pictures tell a thousands words. Any ideas as to why my synscan won't power up? I'm giving it 12v @ 1.5 amps so it should be plenty but she's not turning on. As you can see the hand controller works just not the base. 

IMG_6862.JPG

IMG_6864.JPG

Almost impossible to suggest The Answer.

Check that the power lead is making good connection. Does the handset see the drive unit - would expect a fault report the correlated to "No drive unit detected".

Synta have effectively no protection on their units so a spike or anything can take them out.

If you can look inside try to see if there is a wire loose, equally play a bit with the plug connectors - you may find that although you plug power into the base that the power goes immediatly out to the handset then back and those plugs are known to lose contact.

Actually looking at it (first image) the power may be connected into the handset then out to the base (not overly familiar with the SW arrangement), if so then check those multi pin connectors. More then one person has simply had no connection on a relevant pin. You might need a multimeter to determine which pin the power is on.

Equally and somewhat relevant if new then return it.

I have the 10" version and, a couple of years ago, I had difficulty getting the AZ axis to give smooth operation. The problem was a partial disconnection of one of the connectors between the AZ axis controller board (under the cover in the base unit) and one of the position decoders. The internal ribbon cables have been fitted with additional ferrite rings (probably to meet EMC regulations), and these effectively shorten the cable, leaving no slack, and making them more prone to disconnection. I had to remove the main board to find the disconnected plug, hidden under the board.

Obviously, as ronin suggests, check all the external connections first, and, if you feel confident to remove the ALT axis cover, look at the internal connections. It may be stating the obvious, but check the on/off power switch.

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

Archived