NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My second attempt!

Shera

My first attempt at taking a picture of Jupiter using video from a phone is here https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/293716-my-first-attempt/#comment-3218755 after advice from you guys and watching some YouTube videos (via taking a webcam apart and it then not working so going back to an iPhone) I got this! Really pleased! Advice welcome on how it could be improved I want to try and get Saturn next! Thanks for all your help!

IMG_1189.JPG

6 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very nice. I think if you ran this image through Registax 6 RGB align tool you would get a bit more detail out of it (there is a clear indication of atmospheric refraction in the image)

Thanks! I did run it through Registax but only based on what I watched on YouTube, that is I set my align points around Jupiter and then aligned it; should I have added some points to the bands as well?

9 hours ago, Shera said:

Thanks! I did run it through Registax but only based on what I watched on YouTube, that is I set my align points around Jupiter and then aligned it; should I have added some points to the bands as well?

In the final stages of Registax processing (the wavelet stage) there is a button "RGB Align". Press this and a dialog appears. Select the automatic alignment option, and as a rule the alignment works perfectly. Your image has a clear red edge on the one side, and a blue edge on the left. This should vanish. You can simply use the current result as input in Registax. Selecting a single frame (e.g. JPEG) will skip the alignment parts of Registax and move directly to the wavelet stage.

Archived