NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GoTo stopped working????!!!???

I had to call it an early night because my intelliscope object locator stopped working properly (and I'm too lazy to learn the sky). The intelliscope computer suddenly lost connection with the azimuth and altitude encoder chips at the same time (they send the computer information when I move the scope. one chip for up/down, one chip for left/right). Considering both chips lost contact with the computer at the same time, it must be safe to assume that the two encoder chips are fine but either the intelliscope computer, the encoder connector board chip (which connects the two encoder chips to the computer), or the wire between the computer and the connector board are malfunctioning. The intelliscope computer seems to be working properly so its probably the connector board. Anyways, I'm not worried cuz orion will replace everything for free (spoke with the lady already).

Have anyone else have had a similar problem? is there anything I can do to fix it? I dont wanna wait several weeks for a new object locator. that would mean I would have to find objects the real way :crybaby:

Heres a link to the instruction manual of my object locator: http://content.telescope.com/rsc/img/catalog/product/instructions/IN_226_SkyQuest_Intel_revF.pdf

any advise would be greatly appriciated

Hello Brandon

you are probably going to hate me for what I'm about to say but I'm going to say it anyways you really do need to learn the night sky for yourself. as you have already discovered technology is never ever totally reliable and if it goes wrong you loose your observing sessions. Best form of defence is not to be in that sort of position that's why propper professional technical equipment always has back up systems and built in redundancy because its a cast iron guarantee that sooner or later its going to break down sorry if its not what you wanted to hear but its the sad truth of the matter regards Pete

Hello Brandon

you are probably going to hate me for what I'm about to say but I'm going to say it anyways you really do need to learn the night sky for yourself. as you have already discovered technology is never ever totally reliable and if it goes wrong you loose your observing sessions. Best form of defence is not to be in that sort of position that's why propper professional technical equipment always has back up systems and built in redundancy because its a cast iron guarantee that sooner or later its going to break down sorry if its not what you wanted to hear but its the sad truth of the matter regards Pete

oh I knew that from the beginning. That is why I am going to get some of the books suggested in my other thread. I just wanna experience a little bit of dso's, etc. so I can "train my eye". that way I can find objects easier without GoTo. I do plan on ONLY using GoTo when I really need too. I am sure it is more rewarding to find objects all by experience and not by technology. I just wanna get the feel for astronomy for the next few weeks. I promise: after a few weeks, I will throw away the battery for a while. Thanks for ur concern. :clouds2:

Archived