Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best observing time

Hi All, this probably a stupid question but I was wandering if someone can scientifically explain to me why the best time to observe for example a meteor shower or most other notable celestial occurrences for that matter is always right before dawn between 3 AM to 4 AM. 

Since I have a telescope now for a few years I’m keep an eye out for celestial occurrences like meteor shower, comets etc.  And it never fails that when reading about it it’s always been said that the best time to observe it is right before dawn, you know 3 AM to 4 AM. So, practically always the worst time for most humans beings to get up to do something.  Why can the same meteor shower not be best observed let’s say around 10 PM or 11 PM or midnight. It is at 11 PM as dark as it is at 3 AM to 4 AM in the morning. Even in the winter, when it is dark from 7 PM to 7 AM, the best time to observe it is always right around 3 AM to 4 AM. I mean the earth is round and turns so the distribution of meteors that hit the earth should be the same every hour of the day during a period of a few days that the earth moves through the meteor shower.  So why is it always best to see a celestial occurrence right before dawn?

Meteors are because at that time the earth at your location (anywhere, as it is local time) is facing most "into" the collection of bits that cause the shower. Before midnight the main body of the planet is in the way. So in numerical terms more are visible.

One maybe interesting aspect is that you can built a radio receiver to detect meteors and one will then supply you with an indication of the number of daylight meteors that occur.

From rotation I would suspect that there is a numerical peak from midnight to midday and a trough midday to midnight. Crazy thought but I wonder if you collected the data and produced the graphs if anywhere would award a qualification for the work. Might also therefore be a project for someone doing a astronomy qualification.

Ny normal disclaimer about meteor showers is that immaterial of the time whenever I have ventured out for the "big" showers they have bee spectacularily dissappointing. Been out at midnight to 2:00am at the peak night of one (Perseids) and saw not a single one.

Might depend on the meteors radiant point.

Lyrids April               :  Lyra is at the highest point early hours

Perseids August        :  Perseus is reasonable high early hours

Leonids November   :  Leo highest point early hours

Rune

Archived