NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello, these 2 sketches were done at the eyepiece last night. The instrument used was the F5 8" newtonian in a stars only theme. (Once, I like to focus on a stars only session it's an habit but always a good idea!)

This first log is Groombridge 1618 (HIP 49908), the larger star is orange/beige the Groombridge itself (I believe). According to Wikipedia, it's only 16 light years away from earth and it's a K8 class, the sector was not too star dense and the power used was 40x, the Xcel-Lx 24mm. A nice orange gem. :laugh:

0OiYWmj.jpg?1

The position of the close object:

NOqlJwZ.png?1

And this is Gemini Castor, another well positioned target in the sky and easy double star to split. I could see both parts at 55x but  80x was an optimal power. It's 60 degrees AFOV of really faint low density field of stars. To my left eye, the larger part of Castor is a white star with a small touch of blue in it and the small visible companion was white/beige.

Castor (;

hRAtTeB.jpg?1

Archived