NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bright meteor spotted in Delphinus at 4:45AM 25/4/2017

Hello SGL, I woke up early this morning to have a shot at looking at the Sagittarius Star Cloud and other wonderful, dusty objects in Sagittarius. But as the sky was pailing in the east. I pointed my telescope towards the constellation Delphinus and in particular Gamma Delphini, a beautiful binary star. I positioned my telescope to Beta Delphini ( Rotanev ) and I hopped to Alpha Delphini ( Sualocin) and then I hopped to the nose of the dolphin where Gamma Delphini is located. I inserted my 9mm eyepiece into my 4.5" reflector. I focused my scope and I saw the beautiful golden pair flawlessly. But as I was observing a very bright and very fast moving point of light dashed across my eyepiece catching me off guard as my eyes were dark adapted. Two minutes later I seen a meteor fly through Hercules and Corona Borealis that was also very fast and bright. I wondered if it was a meteor that swooped by Gamma Delphini when I was observing it.

Thanks and clear skies

Adam

Archived