Startrail showing both celestial hemisphere rotation

In March I was fortunate enough to go on a University field trip to the Cala Alto Observatory in southern Spain.  It was a fantastic week for many reasons.  We got to use a 2.3m scope for 5 nights so got some serious data collection done on all sorts of targets (comets, asteroids, exoplanets, clusters, galaxies, Jupiter etc).  But also there was some less serious stuff - usually involving standing in snow, battling the windchill, and freezing :rolleyes: - learning how to do widefield and timelapses.  On the last night I decided to set up my camera just outside the library which was acting as our control room and do some timelapse, showing comings and goings.  Orion was very conveniently placed :smile:   When I processed the pictures I realised I may have had some other nocturnal visitors as I lost a lot of subs through vibration (eek - relieved the camera stayed upright).  As a result my timelapse isn't as smooth as I'd hoped.  I also processed as a startrail - and this is where the interesting thing showed up.  Normally startrails are shown around Polaris (and I have a couple of those), but this time I was looking south west and so the trails show rotation about both north and south poles :biggrin: An interesting effect I think.

Two versions - one with the foreground trees illuminated by a car and the automatic entrance light, and the other taking out those frames.  (I need to do more reading up now on batch processing timelapses though - any tips very welcome!)

58efc2a473c7e_Startrailslibraryv1v2.thumb.jpg.d9756555fb57201003490aa1a99e0e77.jpg

58efc3bfae70f_Startrailslibrarytimelapsev3forzakcopy.thumb.jpg.107dc22f3d40b1f9a396a2433ceb5233.jpg

Also the timelapse video.

Helen

20s subs with a Sony 6500 and a Zeiss 16-70 lens at f4

Helen

Archived