Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with buying a telescope

Hey guys should I buy a 8" f/5 dob by gso or go for gso 6" f/4 newtonian on Exos-1 mount?

I wanted to do a bit of deep sky AP later on but since my budget is only around 450$ I don't think i can.As the go-to equatorial mounts are pretty expensive for my budget.

If someone can tell me a cheap way to do deep sky AP in my budget then that would be appreciated.Thanks!

If you might lower your sights a bit, you can do some casual imaging with either kit...

http://www.tejraj.com/6inch-F4-exos1.html

http://www.tejraj.com/gso-8inch-dob.html

The 6" f/4 would require a coma-corrector, for both visual and imaging, unless you wouldn't mind the distorted edges within the field-of-view.  You can use a webcam for the Moon, the planets, and the larger and brighter DSOs.  I've used a point-and-shoot for a limited number of objects, and simply by holding the camera steady, up to the eyepiece, and snapping a shot... flash.gif

58e52be1081b9_Moonsampler.thumb.jpg.b9fbe1dc887f6022bbd5e71653baddb8.jpg

58e52c0aeaac4_6f5DSOsampler.thumb.jpg.39a12344ddff44d3dfb0e71a1303d24e.jpg

...and with this kit; an alt-azimuth mount, a 6" f/5 Newtonian, no motors; just me and the kit and the sky above...

58e52ca70661e_6f5db.jpg.0dbd37099629b6ebaff037e525ef186c.jpg

Such is called "afocal photography", and the simplest of the imaging techniques.  Such would also be possible with the GSO 8" f/6 Dobsonian.

Deep-sky astrophotography is a whole other animal compared to visual astronomy, and requires a lot of work and ample funding.  You can get the 6" f/4/EXOS-1 kit for now, and save up for a more robust mount.  A supportive mount is most important for imaging the deep sky, as the telescope and camera must be held very rigidly, and for extended periods of time.  

Archived