NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Analysis of Guiding - 4h run, reasonable guiding...but...

CKemu

So I recently imaged M82, and fairly pleased with the results, having captured both RGB and Ha, but I like to autopsy my results, nit pick and generally try to learn more with my rig.

So this data is from March 24th, whilst I imaged M82 in ha, using 1800s exposures, when stacked it comes out like this:
58d91738e9fde_M828x1800s.thumb.jpg.4e758522fd29f21c27be901d861c6910.jpg

(I was using an Red frame from a prior run as a "reference" to make sure my stars aligned, hence the tilt/black border).

Looks okay, pretty round stars, though pixel study seems to indicate a slight movement.

So I then stacked each frame on top of each other in Photoshop, using a "lighten" mode per layer, but without aligning the stars, so "as is", and I noticed this movement to the left/up.

58d9173a608bc_M82_Ha_8x30-4hdrift.thumb.jpg.8b25d644dc3aee72cb5305b27bccbf6e.jpg]

Now there was a little wind that night, that made DEC go a little haywire and the end of the run I clunked the scope in to the tripod...ooops. But below is my calibration and a snippet of the guide log, any ideas as to why I am getting this slow drift, I thought PHD2 would guide "any" movement out.

calibration.thumb.jpg.dda0cb07a4c572d0fa99acd7adf0bf72.jpg

guiding.thumb.jpg.928a29b5b33938669040f1ca1fa79085.jpg

For extra information, I am using an OAG (ASI120mm as the camera), PHD2 for both drift align and guiding, and the mount is an NEQ6. I think I forgot to re-calibrate after the drift align, so calibration was based on initial rough polar align.

The rotational nature of the movement suggests field rotation to me. i.e. Polar Alignment not quite right. 

I have a similar problem with my images inexplicably drifting over time, despite perfect guiding. However, mine are in a straight line indicating a different problem.

The angle between the calibration axes (never been able to understand the figures that PHD lab gives - so just looking at the graph) also hint at a slight polar alignment error.

How did/do you PA for that run?

Archived