NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flats with a DSLR

I found this info on another site, which I cant seem to find now, however, it went like this.

AV mode - let the camera do the exposure regulating, just make sure all the filters etc you use are in place.

I tried using every Iso setting just to be safe, but tbh, the end results were similar in all cases, so I now combine them all into one master flat.

Hope that helps a little! I posted in the astro lounge about How flat is flat? and I THINK the reply came in that thread.

Cheers

TJ

Thanks TJ, I guess for these I should just save direct to the memoery card and not use Nebulosity to capture them.

Nebulosity has a setting for exposure time which seems to override what the AV mode wants to do.

Cheers :)

I would consider "dithering" to be "hard core" :-) It puts you in the chair in front of the computer during the entire light capturing session. But then again; maybe that isn't such a bad idea at all. After spending 1 hour ++ setting it all up, it's a bit bitter to lose most light frames to a lost guide star while playing XBOX (like a "friend of mine" did) ...

Archived