NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M50 - Heart Shape Cluster

Stub Mandrel

There's one that doesn't seem to get as much attention as it deserves, a dense but oddly shaped and quite pretty little open cluster to the east of Sirius. 30 2-minute subs through the murk, but due to counterweight stupidity on 10 of them had round stars, so only twenty minutes integration. Fortunately clusters don't seem to mind fairly short exposure time, I think I must try and work through some more of the Messier clusters.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=bdf8b2134cef9d8b58cbfd197e12d_M50.thumb.png.4535380c2d2b1efbd30bb72d1412f368.png

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Nicely done! Do you know what has caused the faint black circle in the centre of the image below the cluster?

It's the after-image of a faint bright doughnut that my flats wouldn't remove so i had to do a  feathered select and curves on it, I have no idea what caused it, but it may have been something to do with sirius? More subs needed to get a more even background it is in significant LP from home.

Archived