NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Resurrecting old DIY scope?

digitaldave

20+ years ago, my dad made a newtonian telescope with a manual equatorial mount and pier. He bought the glass, but IIRC he made everything else (not sure about the focuser though). From memory, the focuser wasn't great, and the mount had quite a lot of backlash in it, but was still useable. However, it's been sitting in a garage for most of it's life :(. But recently, I've been thinking about resurrecting it in some form, so I'm after some advice...

1) Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to get the mirrors overhauled? I guess they would need re-silvering. IIRC, it's 6" f/8. Also, are there any good places in the UK to get this done?

2) If I want to replace the focuser, are there any that are suitable for mounting on a flat tube? I believe that there might be top end ones from Moonlight or Feathertouch, but are there any cheaper options? The reason it needs to fit on a flat tube is that the tube is a square section box.

3) Although I could overhaul the existing equatorial mount, I was thinking that it might be cool to build a simple Dobsonian type mount for it so that it's a bit easier to set up, plus it'll take up less space. It could end up becoming a pretty good scope for relatively quick looks and just scanning around when I don't want to set up my EQ6 + C925 :). So, how easy is it to build a basic Dob mount for a square tube newt?

Many thanks,

Dave.

Hi Dave, Orion optics in crewe do re-silvering, their charges vary according to mirror/secondary size, here is the link to their price calculator, most of the rack and pinion focusers i can think of are designed for a curved tube but I'm sure an adaptor could be made so it will fit to a flat surface.

http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/Resources/Coating.xls

you could also try galvoptics their link is here

http://www.galvoptics.fsnet.co.uk/telescope7.htm

sounds like an interesting project you have there. :)

Thanks for the replies chaps :). It looks like the re-coating prices are much more reasonable than I had thought, so I might have to get measuring the mirrors!

Does anyone have any info or links about building a dob mount for it?

Thanks,

Dave.

Hi Dave, I think I have a book by Richard Berry which may have the Info. to enable you to build a Dob. Mount. I say think, because I need to make sure it is not already out on loan.

If I do have it,you are welcome to borrow it.

I have checked, and I do have it.

"Build your Own Telescope" with simple hand tools Is the title. He covers 5 different scopes, one of them the Dobsonian. As I said, If wish to have the loan of it, you are welcome.

PM your address, and I will post it to you.

Ron.

Archived