Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where did I go wrong?

I had a session on the Pleiades yesterday and got something I'm less satisfied with.

Tech: Celestron evo 6, field reducer, Sony a3000, iso800, 90*30s, about 20 dark, flat and bias frames.

This is what I got from DSS: (https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0ckrpjn2jfm753/Pleiades Stack.TIF?dl=0 )

Now, I attached the stacked output from DSS and my feeble attempts in StarTools. But something went wrong in the capture, I think, because that noise on the edges is just ugly. But what? Where did I go wrong?

pleiades_stacked.png

Pleiades.png

pleiades_noise.png

There's a lot of vignetting despite the flats. The flattener-reducer has a speciified chip distance (they all do) so firstly do you have that distance correct? You may need to look it up for your particular flattener.

The arc-like artefacts from the stars may be internal reflections, which can be the bane of focal reducers, especially on very bright stellar targets. Firstly, though, check that chip distance.

Olly

Checked the distance and measured it on my kit. Should be 105mm and that is exactly what it is when the camera is fit. Maybe I should just not add another item in the chain before I have it sorted without the reducer.

Archived