NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Problem with HitecAstro synguider adapter

Hi all,

I been struggling to understand why my HitecAstro 12V DC to 6V DC adapter doesn't power my synguider and I am wondering if anyone knows what to do. I have tested the terminals that input into the synguider and they are fine, reading 6.75V tip positive.

I have tested the connection (2.1mm jack) to the synguider by adding a female to male extension that I know works when it is used with my old battery pack, when I use the adaptor...nothing (the extension also reads 6.75V so the adaptor jack does make the connection).

Possibilities I have considered:

- Not enough current getting through. The synguider runs using around 200mA so it shouldn't be too difficult to supply that.

- Non-uniform voltage output. Perhaps the conversion from 12V to 6V is giving uneven power output.

The adaptor was given to me as a gift 2 years ago and I only started trying to use it recently, not sure whether it can be returned.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan :happy7:

Does it power up at all? I.e. does it look like there is power getting to the Synguider? As you say 200mA isn't much at all and I am sure that just about any DC-DC converter would cope, however there may be an inrush current that is a lot higher than 200mA that prevents it from functioning properly.

There are two (possibly more) different types of "standard" DC jacks...ones that are 2.1mm and others that are 2.5mm. If you try to fit a 2.1mm plug into a 2.5mm socket, it obviously won't fit however if you plug a 2.5mm plug into a 2.1mm socket it will fit, but it will be a very poor connection, that is if it works at all that is...

I always prefer to use these types of connectors if I can, they are much more forgiving as they will at least provide 2 points of contact, though choosing the correct size is still recommended.

2m06p1is.jpg

These are generally terrible, even though I do use them (to be had, when they work they work well, until they don't):
6nrlilc1.jpg

Thanks for the reply!

The plug is like the one in the left of the second picture. It is making a connection because when I add an extender (female to male) 6.75V is measured across the extender's plug.

WhenI connect the extender to the synguider I get nothing, but it does work when the old battery pack is connected to the synguider through the extender.

I'm sure there's a simpler way to describe this!

:happy7:

Archived