Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon DLSR vs. CCD help please!

Hi!

I am considering upgrading my imaging system for deep sky objects. I was wondering whether you thought it would be worthwhile to build a peltier cooling system for my Nikon D3200, or to just go ahead and buy a modest CCD, like the ZWO ASI120MM Monochrome (costs around 220 usd). I know that building a dslr cooler would be far less expensive, but I don't mind getting the ccd, if one like that mentioned above would provide significantly better images. hanks!

The 120mm is designed primarily for planetary imaging and guiding, it would make a poor substitute for a DSLR if you want to take long exposures.

You will also need filters with the 120mm as it is a mono camera.

However for planetary imaging it is a great little camera.

The 120MM is not a substitute for a DSLR, and it's not a CCD.

When shopping for a camera, you should consider what you intend to use it for. If you are mainly into DSO, you will either need a larger chip, or be willing to spend the effort of doing mosaics. Many dso's are extended objects, about the size of the moon or larger. If you want to invest in a CCD (or CMOS equivalent such as the ASI1600MM-C), you will also need to invest in filters.

Have a look here at was is being achieved with typical cameras, and let that guide your decision.

Good luck

Archived