NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

starter eyepieces for a newb with a lx200 10" ?

scotty87

Hello all,

After years of pondering with the idea of buying a telescope, I bought a "classic lx200" last week. I had a meade "Japanese" 26mm SP with it, I was wondering what EP's I could buy in the £50-100 each range which would best suit this scope ? I don't mind buying second hand either.

I have looked at the skywatcher panaview 32mm for nebula's E.T.C, seems like a good buy and I have a 2" diagonal fitted to the OTA. Would I need a reducer to get the most out of this EP ? I have also noticed  most of the second hand ones seem to be an older design to the new, is the "new shape" any better than the old ?

I would also like a suitable EP for viewing planets, A clear night so i can have a play with it wouldn't be a bad idea ether!! :)

Scott.

You can get away with most eyepieces budget or premium in slow scopes so it is down to what you want to observe really. You could try picking a favourite night sky object and using this http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/ to see roughly what magnifications and FOV any given eyepiece would offer. For DSO's wide field eyepieces allow you to cram more in. Televue and ES offer a selection up to 100° AFOV and for planets you really don't want magnifications much over x250. If the scope is driven orthos are a favourite for planets, BGO, BCO, astro hutech amongst a few are available.

I have a range of SCT's and as already mentioned they are pretty forgiving on eyepieces, one of our most used eyepieces is the "give away" SW 28mm 2" as it seems to suit the public. A decent zoom eyepiece like the Hyperion 111 would cover your planetary needs, apart from Mars which needs all the magnification the telescope will stand when better placed and at opposition, 250-300x is about the max no matter what the aperture.  :icon_biggrin:

Archived