NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

12v power supply box

I wish to build a portable field power supply.I have a large leaisure battery and a stanley tool box with wheels that is just a big box with a lid. Its more than big enough to sit the battery in an there will be loads of room around the outside of the box to install cigar sockets and a mix of sockets needed to power the mount/ccd camers and dew heaters etc. My problem is that I am no electrician and although I can solder and wire up I need a few ideas and wiring diagrams. I have seen some great power boxes at the star parties  with led displays for battery voltage and connections to charge the main battery / usb feeds etc. a few ideas and photos of boxes would be a great help if anyone out there has built one and some idea of the parts /fuses needed for safe operation. Jay

Oh my. Well, I simply have a plastic battery box for my big AGM type battery. I took a cigar lighter double and cut off the single end and used ring connectors to wire them to my positive (center) and negative (shell, or outside).

My cords that plug into these already have the appropriate fuses in them, in the tip. (I know one is a fast blow 5 amp for my mount, but I think they are both 5 amp)

Other things, like my 350 watt inverter to power my Laptop are simply connected with large terminal clamps, when used.

Fairly simple actually. My battery charger is also clamps connected. (Red Positive, Black Negative)

Here are some suggestions: Clamp connected socket. Adapters to multiply sockets. Ring connected socket.

If you use a ring connected socket, you will never have to worry about polarity. With clamps, there is a possibility of getting the connections wrong.

Mine I have a small amount of wire so the sockets hang out in use. But for transport, I simply put them back inside the box. (Also my small inverter fits inside the box beside the battery)

I have a small cart I use to move my power supply around.

Hope this helps. :icon_biggrin:

Archived