NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Playing With Layer Masks (warning big files)

After watching 90% of a two-hour tutorial, I've had a play at using star masks and trying to pull some of the fainter nebulosity and darker areas out of one of my pictures. I probably chose a really bad first example as its nearly all star.

Here is a before and after and a link to the original stack from DSS. Is it improved or just a noise-fest? Comments and suggestions sought!

Stack (67Mb):

wizard stack.TIF

Old process:

Wizard Nebula copy.png

With masks and faint nebula boost:

Wizard.png

I am not able to provide any pointers as I am guff at using /doing layer or star masks, but I think the original is better looking.

I would be interested in which tutorial you were viewing, although 2hrs seems a bit long

I agree with that you could have taken an easier target. Maybe the data that Olly provided in his ngc 1333 thread would be easier. The problem with your data is the sheer number of stars.

I'll download your file and have a look.

+ 12 minutes:

Downloaded and opened in PixInsight. Is the image stretched already? How was it stacked?

Just spent some time with your image, and it seems that there isn't much more you can pull out. There is some very faint dust in certain areas, but it's too close to the noise level, and there are just too many stars, to pull it out without enhancing the stars as well.

As you already noted, it's probably not the best example for this method

Archived