SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC5070 - Head of the Pelican

steviemac500

I've added an hour each of RGB to the original HA so now around 6 hours total. I know it's not up to the standard of some on here but I''m enjoying the journey and the little steps each time. Can someone tell me how to reduce the size of the stars that appear bloated/saturated? Thanks for looking and all comments are vey much appreciated!

Pelican HARGB.jpg

Wonderful image--not usually imaged RGB--narrowband seems to be the most common--but I really like this color scheme.  Very cool.  I use PI and can reduce stars, but I know nothing about PS.  Not sure which software you use to process.

I am a beginner so please take what I have to say with a pinch of salt.

This is a cracking effort Stevie - I assume it was taken with your 200P.  It looks to be in good focus and the tracking seems fine.  I don't think the star sizes are an issue.  If you are referring to the halos, then, again, are these really a big issue?  

There is a halo reduction process (or is it a script) in PixInsight, but I could not find a way of getting a natural result with this - probably down to my cack-handedness.  You could try an initial stretch under a mask - that might help.  I wonder if they would be so obvious if the background wasn't so dark.  Also, the blueness might be emphasised because of the amount of colour saturation.  This has made the nebula a bit too pink/magenta to my way of thinking.  But these are matters of personal taste.

Good luck

Steve 

Archived