NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Choosing a scope

I am trying to pick out a new scope,  but  indecisive on which.  I was looking between an Orion Atlas 10" goto (http://www.telescope.com/mobileProduct/Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes-with-GoTo-Mounts/Orion-Atlas-10-EQ-G-GoTo-Reflector-Telescope/pc/1/c/11/sc/343/24735.uts) ,  or an Advanced VX 9.25" Celestron (    http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/advanced-vx-925-schmidt-cassegrain-telescope)  . I want to do alot of astrophotography. I currently have a Celestron Astro master 114 EQ.  Any info will be a big help. 

I do not practice astrophotography but from what I have read from others on the forum I'll add my two penny worth.

The first scope you link to is to my mind more suited of visual, to mount a 10" scope for AP will require a very substantial mount.

The second item will be admirable for solar system objects but the long focal length will make DSO AP difficult.

For a good idea of what to use take a look at the imaging section of the forum and see what the experts use.

If AP is the direction that you want then you need to look at the requirements for AP. In general this is a good solid stable equitorial mount. Get one that is able to take something like 2 or 3 times the weight of the scope you intend to start out with. Reason for this is that you will most likely start with something like an ED refractor, then to ge getter you add a guide scope and guide camera and one or two other adaptors (rings to hold the guide scope) . After that comes the apo upgrade to the ED - three lens are heavier then two.

For accuracy the mount really needs to be goto, generally the motors are better, also the guide camera talks to a goto easier.

Scope for AP is usually small, fast and generall lightweight. A 9.25 Celestron is about the least applicable you could select as it is large, heavy and slow. A simple example of this is that the WO Star 71 is a good imaging scope. It is as you guess 71mm diameter, and it is f/4.something. The 9.25 is good for planetary imaging but to my thinking there are not many applicable planets to image.

I suspect you have done as others have also and looked up a good visual scope and then selected a good mount for that. Will say it is not helped as manufacturers perpetually advertise the ability to attach a camera and go imaging, additionally they will say you can attach a DSLR, but that is not exactly the same as "Add DSLR take images". Easy to do but visual and AP may both use a scope and a mount but they diverge fairly quick. The other way to look at it is for visual you want a big scope on an adaquate mount, for AP you want a small scope on a big mount. The one "common" possible item is a good solid mount for both. Then you can in effect swap scopes depending on use.

if you are wanting to get into serious astrophotography then i would suggest  your first purchase above all others would be the excellent book 'making every photon count' by steve richards.

its the imaging bible and will guide you to success.

if you want seriously good images then the mount is the first priority,minimum NEQ6 regardless what telescope you choose,most people generally go for a small fast refractor,ideally the skywatcher ED80,excellent optics,fast light gathering and small enough to add cameras and filters and the like.

hope this helps.

Archived