Haytor Quarry & Granite Tramway - Astro Night Pt 1

I was lucky and managed to get one of those rare nights where I was able to do a couple of locations on one evening, this is a set of shots from the granite tramways and the Haytor Quarry on Dartmoor.

The granite tramway dates from 1820 and runs 10 miles from the quarries down to the Stover Canal. Following the tramway took us to Haytor Quarry a classic location which I have not tried at night before...

All images are single shots taken on my 1Dx with either the Tamron 15-30mm or my Canon 8-15mm Fisheye zoom lens, shots are a bit noisy as I had to ramp the ISO up to 12,600 for a couple of the shots, especially when using the 8-15mm which is only f4.

JohnBaker-JFBX3448-small.jpg

JohnBaker-JFBX3452-small.jpg

JohnBaker-JFBX3410-small.jpg

JohnBaker-JFBX3411-small.jpg

JohnBaker-JFBX3418-small.jpg

JohnBaker-JFBX3427-small.jpg

JohnBaker-JFBX3436-small.jpg

JohnBaker-JFBX3439-small.jpg

7 minutes ago, Beulah said:

Image 2 is an absolute belter. Jaw on floor, here.

I just think it's so right - the composition - and the visual interplay between the Milky Way and the swirling foot paths.

I always try to get something of interest in the foreground - not always easy :)

Archived