Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Milky Way imaging...

Vega

I'm hoping to get a milky way shot next month but need some advice on settings. Here's the equipment I hope to use...

-Canon 400D w/ 18-55mm lens (Mirror lock-up on, auto noise reduction on)

-Piggybacked on EQ3-2 mount motor driven

-IR auto shutter release gizmo

My target area is gonna be Southern sky. I will have the opportunity to get to a nice dark site with the sea to the South :lol: . Unfortunatly only during the week beginning 9th August (First quarter moon onwards :shocked: ) so I hope to get things done early in the week. Anyways here's my questions...

1. Is ISO 800 more ideal than 1600 (re: camera noise)

2. Is there a real benefit from taking a shedload of say 60sec subs rather than a couple longer 5 min exposures?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Matt

I dont bother with the noise reduction because whatever length your exposure is you double it by using the camera noise reduction function.ie a 5 min exposure takes another 5 mins for the noise reduction,much quicker to reduce the noise in Photoshop imho.

I prefer ISO 800(less noise)

I have a canon 350d on a Heq5 mount and use 18-55,55-200 and 75-300mm lenses for various widefield stuff(use the 55-200mm the most).

In about 3-4 weeks time the sky will have begun to get properly dark again and will get the gear out from its summer sabbatical.

I normally turn the noise reduction off and do darks afterwards for telescopic photography. However, as I dont intend on doing quite so many subs, its just easier to let the camera do it for me on the fly.

Matt

Archived