Automated observatory cooling

Peje

My obsy (using the term loosely) is basically a large shed I built last year which has a mostly perspex roof, it houses all of my equipment other than the mount as it's on a pier outside. Over the summer months it gets insanely hot and in winter it stays a touch above ambient causing the odd drip and also meaning I need to let the telescope cool down before use.

A couple of weeks ago I started adding 4" round vents to the walls to help the shed stay closer to ambient, this seemed to work pretty well but there was room for improvement. A friend mentioned adding some bathroom style extractors which seemed like a good start, just before these arrived I had the idea to utilise PoE (power over ethernet) to drive some 12v fans since this would mean I could control them remotely via the web-managed poe switch. Installed the setup last night and it all worked perfectly. Yes it's a bit crude but 2 of these fans pushing out 3 cubic metrics per minute should make a big improvement over normal convection, it's worth noting that all other (6) vents are located around 20" from the ground to aim for cooler air being drawn in.

20160809_194838.jpg

Today on lunch I decided to have a bash at accessing the switch via telnet, this worked surprisingly well and within a few mins I knocked up a couple of scripts that let me enable & disable the PoE port from CLI on a raspberry pi. I have another raspberry pi in the shed with a usb temperature sensor connected so in theory I could automate the cooling but for now I'm just going to leave it as manual.

#!/bin/bash

echo "open 192.168.1.90"
sleep 1
echo "enable"
sleep 1
echo "configure terminal"
sleep 1
echo "poe enable fe1/10"
sleep 1

I just created a second script to pipe this to telnet and away it goes :) Next thing will be to replace these two open vents with the ones with flappy louvres.

Thanks for looking! Pete.

Archived