NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M 31 / M 32?/ NGC 206?

Mark S W

Hi

This morning I was observing M 31 for quite some time. I started to see clusters?? star clouds?? or maybe even M32??

I looked at a drawing of M31 and I think it might be NGC 206 and M 32.

The object towards the middle I believe to be M 32 while the other NGC 206. Or just a couple of stars.

M 31.jpg

My apologizes that it is not very clear. Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

Mark

Hallo Mark, 

The sketch is not very clear but thanks for posting. The NGC 206 is all ready in my list!!!

My observation of Great Nebula in Andromeda.

Regards 

Marios :smiley:

24/12/14 -  Synta 200mm F.L.1200/f6 - 30mm T/S

2016-08-05 09.28.29.png

Mark, is this snap from SkySafari any use? The blue circle is 0.9 degrees fov to match your view, it is correct orientation i.e. Not reversed or inverted as I don't know which scope you used.

Can you orientate your sketch to this?

M32 is closer in towards the nucleus of M31 so is within the field of view. It appears to be almost stellar but resolves into a fuzzy star. M110 is larger, more diffuse and further out from the centre. Understanding the scale can really help pin things down. I suspect NGC206 was too dim to be seen.

Hope that helps.

Stu

image.png

35 minutes ago, mariosi said:

Hallo Mark, 

The sketch is not very clear but thanks for posting. The NGC 206 is all ready in my list!!!

My observation of Great Nebula in Andromeda.

Regards 

Marios :smiley:

24/12/14 -  Synta 200mm F.L.1200/f6 - 30mm T/S

2016-08-05 09.28.29.png

Very nice sketch Marios. What was the field of view you were using, perhaps 1.75 degrees? M32 is noticeably closer in towards the nucleus of M31, in your sketch it seems to be a similar distance or am I mis-interpreting it?

image.png

Mariosi and Stu thanks for the reply

I did not include M 110 but it is visible in the same field.

This is the orientation I had. I am thinking now what I saw must have been one of many clusters that I could not resolve. Thank you for the help.

Andromedes Labels 1.jpg 

Hi Mark,

If you look at my SkySafari post, M110 would not be visible in the same 0.9 degree field as M32. You would be able to see the core of M31 and M110 together, just not all three.

There is a Mag 9 star right in the area you are talking about, all the clusters around the same area are Mag 15 or fainter so it seems difficult for you to have seen these? Which scope were you using, and how dark was your sky?

image.png

image.png

Archived