Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone in the UK Offering a Nikon Modification Service? (for a D5300)

Xiga

Hey guys

I'm thinking about swapping my Canon 60D out for a Nikon D5300 (I keep hearing about it's great sensor), but only if I can get it modified for astro use (probably not full spectrum, just a filer removal/replacement). Trouble is, I've had a look online and I can't seemto find anywhere that does this in the UK. Astronomiser seems to do Nikon modifications, but only for older models.

Does anyone know of anywhere that does this?

If not, that probably only leaves the option of buying the camera on eBay (US) and having it shipped directly to LifePixel so they can modify it and send it back here (and greater cost, and custom charges, etc). :-(

On the plus side I reckon I could probably get about £350 for my stock 60D on eBay, which would bring the cost down a fair bit.

As a sidenote, assuming I did go down the U.S route above, and the total cost was in the region of $350 (for the camera) plus $275 (for the mod) plus say another $75 (for shipping, custom charges, generous I know!) that would be $700 which is about £530 in real money, so a net cost of about £180 overall. Coming from a stock 60D, would this be the smartest use of £180 given my current gear (see my sig) and experience level (beginner, not ready for mono or CCD for another couple of years at least).

ps - At present I use APT for capture, so if I'm not mistaken I would also have to switch to BYN. I take it BYN does everything APT does? (i.e platesolving and dithering mainly)

Cheers!

Archived