Last Milky Way offering from Mallorca!

I've already posted a rough and ready version of this one with 30 subs processed and the foreground messed up! This one is all the 60 subs stacked and the background selected and pasted with more care!

Each sub took about 5 mins to prepare for stacking as DSS identified many false stars in the foliage and stacking without removing them led to interesting results....

I know the pasting looks a bit rubbish in places but its time I finished with this and moved on! This image has taken longer to process than any other, I've become convinced that processing DSO images is much easier than widefield. It was a very nice view (this was from my bedroom) and the stacking and processing certainly reveals some treasures not visible to my eyes at least.

From Bedroom 60 lights processed.png

Nice image and you are correct about the difficulty in processing wide fields when they contain foreground features and large gradients in sky brightness so I now stick to single exposures with faster lenses/higher ISO. I have considered a tracking mount that offers half sidereal speed which in theory would allow for double the exposure time provided the foreground/background wasn't to "busy".

Alan

Archived