NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

"experienced newbie" summer house to 10" Dob set-up?

Even though I first started as an amateur in 1985 (just in time for Halley!!), I took a break from it all due to various committments, but am now really back into observing, and am slowly getting my kit together. Technology has moved on so much in the interim, so I want my set-up to be more user-friendly than it used to be! I'm moving house soon, and the rear garden is a decent size and SE facing (so pretty decent), We back on to a road about 30ft away, and there's a few street lights there. We have a summer house, and I was hoping to have the following set-up.....10" Skywatcher goto Dob (already own this) sat in middle of garden with Lodestar audtoguider camera mounted, plus UHC filter to filter out street lights wavelength..... me sat in summer hosue with table, laptop, Stellarium/Sky Safari, atlases and giudes, etc....I'm hopimg to select objects with Atlases/Stellarium, then using cable to send signal to activate goto drives on 'scope, then when 'scope has located object I prompt Lodestar to take an image, then receive the image on laptop via another cable. The distance from summer house to the 'scope is only about 10ft. This sounds a perfectly plausible set-up, can anyone forsee any issues with it? Many of you guys will have a lot more experience than myself, especially with a set-up like this, so will have experienced potential snags. Many thanks for any comments.

I don't see why that would not work. Lunar and planetary should be fine. Not sure that it would be any use on DSOs though, due to the alt-az mounting of the dob. If you can grab and stack multiple 30s exposures it should be fine for the brighter DSOs.

I'm hoping to stack multiple shorter exposures, maybe 15 - 20s max....depends on what I can get away with and how accurate the tracking is ! Lodestar x2 seems really sensitive, so fingers crossed. I'll search for other examples of that combo in the video section and youtube.

Archived