NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bresser Messier MC-100/1400 OTA

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience or usage feedback on this scope?

Key points to note:

1. Will be used from terrace of an apartment building / Balcony / Large French Window in the middle of central business district of Bangalore, Hub of major IT companies

2. Not interested in DSO / Astrophotography - since I have come to understand that reaching stellar levels needs significant investments, which I am in no mood to fund right now

3. Main objects of interest are moon, jupiter, mars, saturn, and maybe a few nearby clusters / nebulae. Can this resolve M33? M41?

4. Will be mounted on a standard medium duty Alt Az Tripod.

5. May use this with a 2X or a 3X Barlow and 2-3 eye pieces (preferably GSO Plossls, 32, 12/9)

6. Area Remains cloudy for 6-7 months a year, and decent windy condition - 15-20Kmph winds for 4+ months.

I don't specifically know this Bresser Mak, but in general it's characteristics may be a very good choice.

It's compact and portable, should work well on an Alt-Az mount, and be suitable for the targets which most interest you. You location sounds far from ideal in terms of urban light pollution, but you may find the Mak tends to cut through this a little more than a larger reflector would.

With a focal length of 1400mm and an approximate maximum magnification of x200,you may not find much use for Barlows. Maks do need a little time to cool down outside before observing, probably allow about 20 - 30 minutes before you will get the best results.

no direct experience, but it looks like a nice scope, I'd be happy wit one of these on an Alt/Az mount - just make sure it is strong enough to keep it stable in the wind; I think you'll be ok, as it is a short scope

as mentioned above, you probably won't need a barlow as you can reach high Mags quite quickly with long focal length Maks.

and if does well against those clouds, then let me know as I'm having one :)

Archived