Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ST80 Rack & Pinion Focuser problems

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on an issue with my Skywatcher 80 short tube focuser. I bought it from FLO last October when I was in the UK with the aim of it being a grab and go scope and for autoguiding on my 200p.

While first playing with the scope one of the plastic inserts on the top of the focuser fell out, getting grease onto the inner lens surface. I ended up disassembling the scope, cleaning the lens, flocking the inside and reassembling the focuser mechanism as best I could.

I've had some success with autoguding but not much joy using it for visual astronomy. At my last star party the focuser jammed at full extension. I disassembled it an found that part of the pinion gear was worn (as in the photo by the light area - sorry for the poor photo quality) where it had reached the end of the rack and started to spin or deform on the rack screw mount.

I'm wondering best to deal with it. I can't seem to find place to buy a replacement and while it will likely still work if I put it back together I'm not sure what I did wrong in the first time I reassembled it I don't want to make the problem worse. I've also read about replacing the rack and pinion with a GSO Crayford focuser on it but that would cost too much and I'd rather but the money toward an better scope.

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers

Andrew

20160619_085850.jpg

Archived