Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Night sky field guide.

Cloudwatcher

I picked up a rather good guide book from Waterstones that might be of interest to some of you Guys & Gals.

The National Audubon Society Field Guide to the Night Sky is the somewhat lengthy title for a tastefully blue leatherette bound volume retailing at £11.99. Smaller than the Philip's guide range in length and breadth but with over 700 information packed pages well worth the extra few pounds. There is a handy visual key,thumb-tab system used for quick reference to subjects ranging from DSO's to atmospheric and optical phenomena via constellations,stars and star clusters,comets,meteors and extraordinary objects to name but a few. Monthly sky charts in colour,four per month,48 in total,are included with 88 colour charts of the constellations. There are 272 full colour photographs,including all the Messier objects.

If it's cloudy why not check out the History & Mythology of the constellations,some of which are quite bloodthirsty! :) This section also includes details of the stars in each constellation and other objects of interest such as nebulae and galaxies to be found within it's borders.

Highly recommended.

Cheers

CW

I'll second your recommendation, CW! :thumbright:

Bought one about 10 years ago when I was just starting out in all this, and it was my 'skybible' for quite a long time. It's simple enough to be used as an introduction to the night sky, yet it's meaty enough to carry you beyond the newbie stage. :)

I'll second your recommendation, CW! :thumbright:

Bought one about 10 years ago when I was just starting out in all this, and it was my 'skybible' for quite a long time. It's simple enough to be used as an introduction to the night sky, yet it's meaty enough to carry you beyond the newbie stage. :lol:

Hi Carol.

Being on the other side of the pond you will know about the Audubon Society, something I had not heard of until I purchased this guide. Have you any of the others in the series,which,it seems,cover subjects as diverse as African Wildlife through to Wildflowers ( Western Region)!

The Night Sky edition I have is the sixteenth printing (not bad for a minority hobby) so I imagine the Bird Guide is even more popular.

Might be worth starting a collection. :)

Cheers

CW

Archived