NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Howdo

I'm ordering my first scope very soon & was wondering if there was a basic "toolkit" that people had with them when they take their scopes on the road?

I'm not talking about ep's, filters, barlows etc, but things like collimation device, lens cleaning kit, spare batteries etc.

kit u might not even think about but just naturally pack alongside your scope.

Any ideas much appreciated

cheers 

hat, gloves, red light head torch, star map, laser collimator* - this are the things that I keep in a go-bag with the rest of my kit.

I'm also on the verge of getting an observing chair (I currently cart a dining chair with me), and a collapsible table that will become the caboodle.

*I only use the Cheshire at home - I'm reasonable comfortable that my laser is well collimated

Tablet to see what's in the sky and to control the 'scope, power pack and lead, dewshield, log book and pen, and most importantly - the old black T-shirt to drape over my head to cut out light from the sides at the EP.  You might also take anti-vibe pads/feet, although I tend not to bother with them now I have a more stable 'scope.

Doug.

Yep, I have a a toolkit which I take particularly to star camps. Screwdrivers, allen keys, spare batteries for everything, laser collimator, cheshire, spare head torch, spare hat and gloves, superglue, gaffer tape, soldering iron, spare connectors , lens cloth etc etc

thanks for that, I can see my shopping list getting bigger.

rockystar, let us know how you get on with the chair. I've been looking at those as well, either that or having a go at making one?

cheers all

Archived