Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how i look galaxy's through skywatcher 150/750 newt.

If it is dark then M42 - Orion nebuls, which should be easy. M57 - ring nebula - easy to "find" as it is in the middle of the 2 lower stars of Lyra. M27 - Dumbbell Neb is "bright".

Very little is bright in reality. Even the bright ones are Mag 6 and dimmer.

Best option I know of is to go to the Wiki page for "List of Messier objects" then click on the top line to reorder by Type, that will group Nebula and Planetary Nebula together. Then pick out the bright ones that are easy to locate. Not sure from where you are what there is in the Southern skies that we cannot see and so are not familiar with.

Another factor is that Magnitude is a measure of the total light off an object, so if big but still dim (low surface brightness) the object gets a high magnitude in relative terms.

Everything will be just a grey patch, M42 will be a brighter grey patch.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would start with one that is rises around 12:00am. This being M42 - The Great Orion-Nebula. Stellarium will help you easily find it. It's one of the most beautiful and colourful Nebulae within our range to see. It's very detailed, and worth re-visiting many times as you'll see new details as your eyes adjust to it's many features!

There are many more, but M42 is a real show-stopper.

Namaste,

Dave

Archived